- What are the (system) requirements for my computer to run the CD-ROM?
- Why is Sonia’s Portuguese Course unique?
- What is the difference between Sonia’s Portuguese Course and others available on the market?
- What language skills will I have upon completion of Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
- How is Sonia’s Portuguese Course structured?
- What is the main purpose of Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
- What is the level of Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
- Does Sonia’s Portuguese Course require previous knowledge of Portuguese or any other language?
- How long will it take me to complete Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
- What is the difference between Sonia's Portuguese Grammar Book and Sonia's Portuguese Course? Do I really need both?
- Do I have to understand grammar to do Sonia's Portuguese Course?
- What can I do if I have a question?
- Can I print or share Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
- What can I do to get most out of Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
- Can I learn Brazilian Portuguese by just listening to the audio files available in Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
- Can I learn Brazilian Portuguese with Sonia’s Portuguese Course the way I learned my native language, without any effort?
- Is Sonia’s Portuguese Course suitable for those interested in European Portuguese?
- Can I return Sonia's Portuguese Course and receive a full refund if I don't like it?
- PC or Macintosh OSX computer
- CD-ROM drive
- Loudspeakers for listening to audio files
- Internet browser (Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc)
- Acrobat Reader for printing PDF files, free download from Internet, link provided on CD
Sonia’s Portuguese Course is unique because it is the most comprehensive and up-to-date Brazilian Portuguese course available on the market. The method used in Sonia’s Portuguese Course is clear, easy to understand and proved to be effective. Unlike other courses, Sonia’s Portuguese Course covers all grammar points in depth and goes beyond the basics. The difference between formal and colloquial usage is shown where necessary, but the emphasis is to encourage you to speak the language as spoken by contemporary native Brazilian Portuguese speakers. Sonia’s Portuguese Course includes numerous (nearly 200) and varied interactive exercises (gap-fill, matching, crosswords, multiple-choice, etc.) and 40 audio cartoon strips.
Sonia’s Portuguese Course is a unique method currently only available in Brazilian Portuguese. It is compiled by a native Brazilian Portuguese speaker with over 20 years experience of teaching Brazilian Portuguese to foreigners. Sonia’s Portuguese Course has been used for many years with students of many different ages, backgrounds, nationalities and cultures and it has been revised and improved to suit all students’ needs. Unlike most other courses on the market, it is not a series covering many languages and translated into Brazilian Portuguese. Language is a reflection of a culture and some words, expressions and ways of expressing in Brazilian Portuguese are different from English and vice-versa. Sonia’s Portuguese Course is free of the constraints imposed by a language series.
Sonia’s Portuguese Course systematically promotes the development of all the language skills (comprehension, speaking, reading and writing) that you will need to communicate in Brazilian Portuguese. Upon successful completion of Sonia’s Portuguese Course you will be able to:
- Understand, speak, read and write in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Understand when spoken to and be able to maintain a conversation.
- Communicate correctly and confidently in Brazilian Portuguese in a wide range of situations.
- Develop your own phrases rather than repeat memorized phrases.
- You will be able to read newspapers in any Portuguese speaking country.
Sonia’s Portuguese Course is structured like a staircase in that you have to climb up step-by-step to get to the top. You familiarize yourself with Brazilian Portuguese gradually.
Sonia’s Portuguese Course starts with a detailed pronunciation guide, which introduces sounds available in Brazilian Portuguese, followed by a pronunciation drills section. Both sections have MP3 audio files.
After the pronunciation section, there are 50 lessons in Sonia’s Portuguese Course. Each lesson is divided into sections:
- A list of points covered in that particular lesson.
- A dialogue in Portuguese, followed by a vocabulary list in Portuguese and English. The stress on the syllable of each word in this dialogue is highlighted to help correct pronunciation of the words.
- A grammar section in Portuguese and English presented with examples of usage taken from common everyday conversations.
- A conversation section, which consists of at least 8 short authentic real-life dialogues in Portuguese, followed by a vocabulary list in Portuguese and English. All dialogues are illustrated with lively cartoons to make learning easier and fun.
- A practice section, which consists of a variety of interactive exercises (gap-fill, matching, crosswords, multiple-choice, etc.) in Portuguese with English translations.
Each lesson concentrates on a particular point of grammar and includes idiomatic phrases, expressions and colloquialisms used in everyday conversations. Dialogues and exercises focus on the points covered in the lessons. There is a review every tenth lesson of points previously covered (5 reviews in total). If you need further explanation, Sonia’s Portuguese Grammar book will give you a more comprehensive explanation of grammar points. The whole course is in Portuguese with translations to English, except for the dialogues.
The main purpose of Sonia’s Portuguese Course is to help you develop skills necessary for effective understanding and use of Brazilian Portuguese, whether that may involve reading, writing or conversation. In short, to enable you to fully appreciate the Brazilian way of life.
Sonia’s Portuguese Course is suitable for beginners, intermediate and advanced students. It has 50 lessons and it is divided into three levels:
- Level I – Basic Course (Lesson 1-17)
- Level II – Intermediate Course (Lesson 18-33)
- Level III – Advanced Course (Lesson 34-50)
Sonia’s Portuguese Course requires no previous knowledge of Portuguese or any other language.
Sonia’s Portuguese Course has been successfully completed in three months (intensive course). Eight months is a good target, but one year is more typical. Obviously the duration of the course depends on the time you devote to it. Sonia’s Portuguese Course has 50 lessons. This is one lesson a week, which is a comfortable objective.
10. What is the difference between Sonia's Portuguese Grammar Book and Sonia's Portuguese Course? Do I really need both?
Both materials are completely different and one complements the other. That's why I highly recommend both materials.
Sonia's Portuguese Grammar Book is a complete and up-to-date guide to Portuguese grammar and should be used as practical grammar reference book.
Sonia's Portuguese Course is a complete and practical course with over 450 authentic real-life short dialogues and nearly 200 interactive exercises. It gives you the practice you need to master Brazilian Portuguese.
Sonia's Portuguese Grammar Book would complement any practical textbook or course and is ideal if used in conjunction with Sonia's Portuguese Course because it complements it.
A prior knowledge is not essential. The great advantage of the Sonia's Portuguese Course is that grammar is explained in great detail and you will learn a great deal about grammar.
You can e-mail any time if you have any questions that cannot be answered by Sonia’s Portuguese Grammar book.
Sonia’s Portuguese Course is copyrighted. This copyright applies to all texts, images and audio files. You are allowed to print the material only for your personal use. You are not allowed to copy, share, publish, reproduce, sell, resell or translate any part of the material without my written permission.
If you are a teacher and would like to recommend or use Sonia's Portuguese Course in a school or with your students, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will reply quickly and consider any request on a individual basis.
It took me two years of hard work to write Sonia's Portuguese Course and I expect my hard work to be recognized and my costs to be covered in the same way that, I am sure, you expect your own investments and efforts are paid for.
You should put what you have learned in Sonia’s Portuguese Course immediately into practice by talking to Brazilians, reading Brazilian newspapers, listening to Brazilian radio stations and Brazilian music, etc. You can find links to Brazilian newspapers, magazines and radio stations on my website.
15. Can I learn Brazilian Portuguese by just listening to the audio files available in Sonia’s Portuguese Course?
This is one approach, but its effectiveness will be limited.
16. Can I learn Brazilian Portuguese with Sonia’s Portuguese Course the way I learned my native language, without any effort?
Sonia’s Portuguese Course is not a miracle course that will enable to speak Brazilian Portuguese without any effort. The method used in Sonia’s Portuguese Course is very effective, but it requires effort and work. If you devote time to it, you will master Brazilian Portuguese. You can make progress more quickly if:
- You are motivated and enjoy learning Brazilian Portuguese.
- If you know some Spanish, French, Italian or European Portuguese.
- If you practice what you have learned.
According to language researchers, when you are over 9 years old, your mental process is completely different from the mental process of a child who has learned a language from birth. The acquisition of language abilities (understanding, speaking, reading and writing) occurs simultaneously in adults, not in phases as it was in childhood. For this reason, don’t expect to learn the language the same way you have learned your native language, without books and with the ease and speed of a child as some courses promise. Most probably, as an adult, you will have to rely on books, grammar rules, even translations and sometimes also memorization for the acquisition of a foreign language.
As a Brazilian native speaker and teacher, I focus on Brazilian Portuguese, however Sonia’s Portuguese Course can also be useful for those interested in learning European Portuguese. But be aware that even though both languages are Portuguese, they differ in pronunciation, intonation, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, etc. Sonia’s Portuguese Course makes no comment or reference to these differences. All audio files available in Sonia’s Portuguese Course are solely in Brazilian Portuguese. Books and courses, which claim to teach Brazilian and European Portuguese at the same time, usually don’t cover all the differences between both languages.
Unfortunately I cannot give you a refund if you don't like Sonia's Portuguese Course. There is a sample lesson on my website so you can have an idea about the course and test at least one lesson before you buy it. Sonia's Portuguese Course is for those people who really want and need to learn Portuguese seriously. If you like my website and Sonia's Portuguese Grammar Book, which is available for sale only through my website, you will probably like Sonia's Portuguese Course too.